Twitter Reflection

Today's topic is Twitter!

I've had a Twitter account for a long time but for my class this summer we were instructed to use our current Twitter accounts or create a new one as we used them to learn more about the platform. I decided to create a new account just for this class because I thought it was best to start from scratch for this learning process and keeping up with the class engagement would probably be a lot easier if I started fresh. I definitely thought that this was going to be the easiest part of my class but I was definitely wrong.

For this class, we were expected to do a few things and these are the ones I found challenging and learned the most from:

Tweet 15 times a week 
Seems easy right well, when the topics need to class/social media related it becomes quite challenging. I'm a person who usually tweets all the time but when I got ready to tweet things for my class I just didn't know what I wanted to say. I realized that content creation for a specific purpose is hard and this must be what is like for quite a few business accounts.

Follow at least 20 people
Again, doesn't seem hard however the guideline made it a little difficult. Some of the people we followed couldn't be affiliated with our school nor could they be organizations or blogs. This required me to give a little more thought into who I followed. I found this really helpful on my personal account as well, paying more attention to the people in my social community allows for less of the negative effects that can come with social media. It also gave me a chance to have a feed filled with more professional accounts/users which gave me a look into the future of a career woman who intends to be active on social media

Create a Twitter list 
Although I knew what it was, I've never created a Twitter list and after trying to figure out just how you do that, I faced the more interesting challenge of what my list should be for. This led me to do a little Google - research where I discovered the true functionality of lists for both personal and professional use. You can create a more compact feed of whatever it is you need, your classmates, your competition, your biggest influencers etc. Lists really are pretty cool and probably my favorite tool to use during this class.

Overall, Twitter was a great platform to learn about. I got to feel what it was like when the authors of the books I read and blogs I reviewed, and got to engage with classmates as we discussed what we we're learning. I can say after this I've cleaned up my personal account a little bit and changed my tweeting to be fairly more intentional. I probably transform this account in my professional account going into the next year and slowly transition away from my other one as I start my career.

Comments

Popular Posts