Likable First Thoughts

This summer for one of my classes I get the read a book titled Likeable. Likable is by Dave Kerpen and based on learning social media as a marketing professional. I never thought I could say this but I really enjoy reading this textbook. I find the chapters engaging and want to keep reading.

 Kerpen really shows his knowledge with examples of common companies, his company Likeable and pictures. This is important because it makes the material more valuable as a student because I don't feel like some stuff professor write the book like a research paper to hurt my brain.

I also really like the breakdown of social media accounts because often teachers feel like as modern day students we already understand social media and they skip that part but running social media from the business side I've found is so much different and people often don't know how many tools are at their disposable. For example, the section on Facebook's new algorithm was really helpful because I knew it had changed but I didn't really understand how it worked or how I could use it to my advantage. My favorite line from this section is how companies are now competing with social such as baby's photos.

My all-time favorite video that demonstrates poor PR and is discussed in this book is "United Breaks Guitars" . I love this video and I love that Kerpen shows me a different way in how bad United's damage control was at this point.

The best part, however, is that I can apply what I'm reading every day through my internship because it comes with actionable steps at the end of every chapter that I can use to improve the social media accounts I am in charge of.

I'm excited to continue reading this book and learning more things I can apply everyday!!

Comments